ARCHAEOLOGICAL CIVIC MUSEUM OF MONTE RINALDO
Those who pass through the gates of the archaeological area “La Cuma” find themselves in front of the remains of the imposing structures of a Late Republican Roman sanctuary (2nd and 1st centuries BC), which included a main temple with a minor cult building next to it, and a monumental porch that enclosed the sacred area. Brought to light in 1957, the cult complex still remains the object of archaeological researches.
During the excavations numerous artifacts were found, and today it’s possible to admire some of them by visiting the exhibition “The sanctuary of Monte Rinaldo: archaeology of cult”, set up at the “Giovanni Graziosi” hall in the historic center of the village.
This initiative represents the result of a fruitful collaboration among research, protection and local administrative entities aimed at increasing the value of the monument, which is exceptional in many ways in the archaeological landscape of the Marche region. After the earthquake that shook the region in 2016, thanks to a convention among the Superintendency of Archaeology, Fine Arts and Landscape of Marche, the Municipality of Monte Rinaldo, University of Bologna and British School at Rome, new systematic investigations of the archaeological area “La Cuma” have been started, accompanied by the documentation and restoration of the finds from the excavations.
The exhibition “The sanctuary of Monte Rinaldo: archaeology of cult” aims to share with the public the first results of the new research and to give back a more comprehensible picture of the important Roman monument. The exhibited artifacts, including fragments of architectural decoration and votive objects in terracotta, tell a visitor the story of the ancient sanctuary, explain the details of its architecture and decorative aspects, speak about the ritual forms and cults practiced within the sacred area.